Several job opportunities (Citizen Science, Science Communication, Integrated Engineering Education,Patient & Public Involvement facilitator, Industrial Strategy & Policy Engagement)
Posted by RRI Tools on 18 Mar 2018
- Research Associate at UCL - Coordinator of the DITO (Doing It Together Science) Project (London)
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced research associate to take on a high level project coordination role within the H2020 Citizen Science Coordination and Support Action (CSA) ‘Doing It Together Science’ (DITOS) - www.togetherscience.eu.
The main responsibility of the post will be to coordinate, co-author, and monitor project outputs, working with consortium partners to define the structure of their reports and methodologies, and to gather and analyse the supporting data. In addition, the postholder will assist the Principal Investigator, Professor Haklay, with coordination of day-to-day project activities and will monitor budgets, deviations from plan and risks encountered, supported by the group’s Scientific Manager, who will gather and consolidate information from the 11 partners.
The post is due to start April/May 2018 and is funded in the first instance until the end of May 2019.
- The successful candidate will be educated to PhD level or equivalent such as EngD.
- They will have excellent English spoken and writing skills across a range of genres to support a variety of audiences including fellow academics, H2020 project reviewers, policy makers, citizen scientists and the general public.
- The postholder should demonstrate a high-level of project coordination, supported by a good working knowledge of technical tools such as spreadsheets for project monitoring and quality assurance. They will also be required to demonstrate a sound knowledge and understanding of citizen science and its open environment.
Closing Date: 28 Mar 2018
For more info see here
- Editorial Coordinator at EUREKA (Brussels)
The Editorial Coordinator plans, writes and sub-edits publications, and coordinates graphic design following house style and dissemination. S/he writes the storylines and content (online and print) that effectively target audiences in the business R&D community. S/he takes a lead role in the review, development and implementation of an annual publications plan. S/he is an outstanding writer. S/he can write targeted messages, often to tight deadlines, that engage readers, advance arguments, and inspire action. The post holder excels at distilling sometimes complex scientific content into simple, clear prose and understands the value of visual elements in telling a story.
- Editor-in-charge of EUREKA’s Innovation Across Borders biannual print magazine
- Coordinator of EUREKA’s annual report and other print publications
- Writing and editorial coordination of web news and newsletters
- Coordinator of project success stories selection, production and dissemination
- Contribution to other parts of the communication strategy, as necessary
Closing date: 30 March 2018
For more info see here
- Assistant/Associate/Full Professor in Integrated Engineering Education at New Model in Technology and Engineering (Hereford)
The New Model in Technology & Engineering (NMiTE) is seeking to appoint its Founding Faculty. This is a once-in-a lifetime opportunity to join the team that's creating the brightest and boldest start-up in higher education anywhere in the world.
- Assistant Professor in Integrated Engineering Education (equivalent to Lecturer) (ref: P1)
- Associate Professor in Integrated Engineering Education (equivalent to Senior Lecturer) (ref: P2)
- Full Professor in Integrated Engineering Education (equivalent to Reader) (ref: P3)
Today, technology is not just changing what we do, but who we are. Mastering technology to address the challenges of tomorrow demands a new kind of engineer. And that demands a new kind of engineering higher education. At NMiTE our mission is to find, equip and empower a new generation of minds from diverse backgrounds to meet these challenges. In students we're seeking curiosity, passion and persistence over starred grades; and in our faculty, inspirational educators who will lead through wholly new ways of learning. If this is a mission that excites you, come and help us make it real.
NMiTE is unique. Here there are no separate 'Departments' or 'Faculties'. Instead, we'll be developing learning teams designed around the delivery of our unique academic curriculum: one co-developed with employers, and built to the highest standards.
The NMiTE academic is an innovative, enterprising and visionary educator, who deeply cares about the development and achievement of his/her learners; who challenges convention, sees beyond traditional approaches - and who is not afraid of taking risks.
In the post of Assistant/Associate/Full Professor, you will design, develop and implement a completely new approach to engineering education. You will facilitate students’ learning using a mentor/coach approach, through experiential and group learning, whilst ensuring individual development and achievement in your area of expertise.
As an NMiTE Professor, you will also be expected to help shape and contribute to different aspects of the student learning experience, as well as keeping abreast of innovative pedagogies - and being active in the scholarly realm.
The closing date is 31 March 2018.
For more info see here
- Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) facilitator at Nottingham University Hospitals
At Nottingham University Hospitals we have built up a good reputation for our work in actively involving patients and the public (PPI) to help prioritise and enrich our research. We now have an exciting opportunity for two keen and enthusiastic individuals to continue to shape this work and find new ways of involving a much wider range of people representative of our local communities.
The aim of this role is to support the R&I Divisional Teams and the R&I Chief Operating Officer and the Director of Patient Involvement & Engagement with their day to day PPI requirements, from putting them in touch with the right kind of people to involve in their work, to organising focus groups. The postholder/s will be key members of the Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement team for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre based at Research & Innovation which supports clinical research. The successful applicants will be supporting patients and carers, including members of the Young People’s Advisory Group. A significant amount of time will be given to supporting researchers and research teams to think how they might meaningfully involve people with direct experience of the condition being studied.
You will need to have good communications and negotiation skills, be constantly diplomatic and good at working cooperatively with a range of partners. Experience of running meetings and facilitating discussions is desirable.
Experience of working in the NHS and patient and public involvement is desirable but not essential as we will provide an induction and on-going support. You will need to be organised, keen to stay on top of administrative chores and good at prioritising multiple tasks. An understanding of research and the academic environment would be desirable.
For more info see here
- Head of Industrial Strategy & Policy Engagement at Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose, UCL (London)
Duties and Responsibilities
Industrial strategy is gaining increasing traction in the UK and globally, and becoming a crucial part of public policy development and implementation. Universities have a central role to play in engaging with industrial strategy and public policy development, and ensuring that they are informed by academic expertise. UCL aims to play a leading role in taking this agenda forward, as both a contributor of knowledge to and convenor of debate on industrial strategy.
UCL Public Policy is the university’s institutional initiative to support academic-policy engagement. It seeks to bring UCL’s academic expertise to bear on crucial public policy challenges and enhance evidence-based policy development. The new UCL Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose (IIPP), founded by Professor Mariana Mazzucato, plays a leading role in rethinking innovation and societal challenges, driving a mission-oriented approach and reshaping industrial strategy agendas on a national and global scale.
The new post of Head of Industrial Strategy & Policy Engagement will work with and support the Director of the IIPP and other Institute staff, the Director of Research Strategy & Policy and the Head of UCL Public Policy in the Office of the Vice-Provost (Research) [OVPR], and others with relevant expertise in UCL more widely, to enhance UCL’s academic engagement with and informing of industrial strategy policy.
In particular, the post supports a) the work of the IIPP related to mission-oriented innovation and industrial strategy and b) the work of UCL Public Policy to build academic-policy engagement and improve the use of evidence in policymaking around industrial strategy. A significant element of the role will involve reporting to and task management by the Director and Deputy Director of the IIPP and enhancing the impact of UCL’s research on industrial strategy policy and implementation. The role will build engagement between UCL academics and expertise to inform industrial strategy policy, and develop a communications, dissemination and knowledge exchange strategy for relevant research.
- Knowledge of industrial strategy and public policy development in the UK and/or other national settings and excellent stakeholder engagement and communication skills are essential.
- Applicants should demonstrate: an enthusiasm for enhancing the public policy impact of research; experience of effectively communicating research expertise to policy stakeholders; the ability to independently manage projects and activities; meticulous attention to detail; and very strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility, initiative, creativity and a positive attitude are important attributes. The ability to work calmly under pressure, to prioritise a demanding workload and to meet deadlines is essential.
- Experience of working in a policy-focused organisation, an interest in public policy, experience with or awareness of industrial strategy, and a good academic track record would be advantageous.
Closing Date: 8 Apr 2018
For more info see here